Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mushrooms and Dinosaurs, Oh My!

My husband left on Thursday for his first interview and the MLA conference. My children spent the day dazzling me with their unbelievable resourcefulness and creativity. My 6-year-old ran around in a pair of lime-green capris, a t-shirt that reads "No Monkey Business; Bingo's Pet Shop--Going Bananas since 4000 B.C.," and a mushroom hat on her head. No kidding! A mushroom hat. She made the hat at the Winter Fair as part of a story. Meanwhile, my son is building a remote-control dinosaur out of Legos, until his buddy comes for a visit and all three of them run around with swords and capes and play hide-n-seek (the boys are 10--what good boys!). And what am I doing? Knitting a pig! Yep, I taught myself how to knit a few weeks ago, and now I'd like to do something a little more adventurous than great, long, rectangles. So, I followed a pattern and knit a pig. My daughter has been holding it and squeezing it ever since!

So where is my writing in all of this? In my head, ruminating. I was sick all during Christmas, so I'm giving myself a few more days to get my energy back and my brain fresh. Of course I've been a little pre-occupied with my DH's job search as well. He'll be back late tomorrow, but I can never sleep when he's gone. We have heard so little, and it's really making it hard to be positive, but I keep telling him, there will be more. I know there's a wonderful job waiting for him. I just hope it's not in the middle of the tundra!

3 comments:

  1. Knitting a pig? You must post the finished product. :-D

    I sure hope DH's interview went well. I have been thinking about his job search -- a lot. Keep us posted.

    As for your writing...I'm sure it will just flow from your fingertips when you start to type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ghost Girl,

    It's me... CJ. Thanks for the "welcome back" at Verla's.

    Being someone who has had difficult transitions this year to deal with myself, I want you to know that my thoughts are with your family as your husband searches for a new position. (We just moved from MO to PA two weeks ago for my DH's new position.)

    Get some rest and feel better soon. Also, even though it's hard, try to be encouraged in the fact that this is temporary, and you will get through to the other side soon.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see your knitting project as well! :-D

    Elle has caught a cold and I fear the rest of us may be getting it soon. I will call to chat when I have some down time this week!

    Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to spammers, this blog is moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away. Thanks for stopping by!