Monday, May 21, 2012

Starting Over From the Middle

Has it really been nearly a month since I last posted? Egads! In that month, I have spent far too many hours creating two Southparkian videos on plagiarism for work, begun work on the next WIP and received editorial feedback on the one I just finished, which has carved out a whole new summer plan for me. Hence the title of this post.

I knew there were good things about the WIP, but it also never sat quite right with me. I fell into an old trap. An amateur mistake. I tried to start at the beginning.  I had way too many ideas and none of them had reached maturity yet.

The good news is, there is good, salvageable material here. The bad news is, I've already hacked 20k words and started in a completely different place.  The great news is, I like it! I have a better sense of things, a stronger sense of direction.

My agent rocks. She is completely right in her criticism and I am embarrassed that I turned in such schlock. I lost my way and got dug in so deep I had to look up to catch the subway back to reality.  I know it's still in me, that awesome book. I just got bogged down with details and research and too many ideas. She reminded me that I had a very particular audience to think of.  I kept, thinking "go big or stay home," but I forgot to actually do the work. So, I'm jumping into the middle of the story, the juicy, dangerous stuff, and starting over.  With a fresh new look at things, it's time to dig out and kick some YA ass.

I hope all of our #wipmadness pals are hanging in there!

10 comments:

  1. Pull on them summer WIPkicking boots, girlfriend, and that that manuscript to new heights!

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! *tug...tug I have 'em on now and ready to kick it up a notch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting too much information at the beginning... I know it well.
    I'm happy you have constructive feedback from your agent. That's golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. She has always steered me well and given me the right kind of kick in the pants. I'm very thankful...and re-invigorated.

      Delete
  4. Wow, sounds both scary and exciting! Good for you! Wishing you all the best with it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! It is a little scary, but I've been re-invigorated and I'm splashing on through.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like a great editorial agent to point out the obvious. ^_^ I'm kind of in the same spot, rewriting the WIP by adding another POV character. Having a lot of fun and excited about it. I'm also revising another project that my agent hasn't seen yet. Revising that WIP is like frosting, light and fluffy and yummy.

    Enjoy the process, Wipster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fabulous, Angelina! (And you're making me hungry!). It is all about the process sometimes, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed as you continue your revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to spammers, this blog is moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away. Thanks for stopping by!